Part-time & temporary 3-month term only, with a possibility of renewal
Overview: Reporting to the Director of the Library, the Assistant Librarian supports the day-to day operations of the Library’s public services and the two materials libraries. S/he is an integral part of the Library’s public services team for providing instructional, reference, and circulating services to library users. During the closing shifts and in the absence of the Librarian, s/he manages the Library’s circulation and reference desk and supervises student workers. The Assistant Librarian performs a variety of system maintenance tasks, such as updating the Library’s website and online subject guides and maintaining other electronic tools and platforms pertaining to public services. S/he may need to perform tasks and projects related to the NYSID Archives & Special Collections.
• Assist the Librarian with the operations of circulation and reference services and delivering library instruction sessions to NYSID students, faculty and staff; answer reference queries and help patrons locate items and resources in the library and archives, and through online databases.
• Manage the day-to-day public services operations and supervise student workers during closing shifts and in the absence of the Librarian.
• Assist the Librarian to manage the two materials libraries on the main campus and at the Graduate Center.
• Assist the Librarian to coordinate the schedule and content of the Library’s instruction program; conduct any library instruction sessions assigned within his/her schedule.
• Working with other librarians, update the Library’s website and online subject guidelines on a regular basis to ensure the accuracy and currency of the information and content represented on those online platforms.
• Resolve technical issues related to the Library’s online resources.
• Working with other librarians, actively explore and implement new library/information technologies pertaining to the Library’s public and instructional services.
• Perform tasks and projects related to the NYSID Archives & Special Collections on an as-needed basis.
• Other duties, projects and activities as may become necessary.
• MLS from an ALA-accredited institution (candidates pursuing an MLS degree at an ALA-accredited institution will also be considered).
• Bachelors in art history, fine arts, design, or architecture preferred.
• Some circulation and reference experience in an academic and research library environment highly desirable.
• Experience using an integrated library system, particularly its circulation module, desirable.
• Proficiency in WordPress, LibGuides, Omeka, and other library and information technologies pertaining to library public and instructional services.
• Strong technical skills of evaluating and employing a variety of new Web tools, systems platforms, and social media channels to facilitate and promote library services and operations.
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills for lectures, presentations, and working with library/archives users and staff.
• Professional committee memberships/activities in related organizations, such as ARLIS/NA, VRA, AASL, ALA, or ACRL, desirable.
• Ability to work independently, be flexible, have high attention to detail; a proactive problem solver.
• Friendly, with strong service orientation and good people skills.
• Former teaching or library instruction experience highly desirable.
• A commitment to user-oriented library services.
• General knowledge of art, architecture, and design research resources preferred.
Required to cover evening and/or weekend hours during the academic school year.
Ability to perform physical activities associated with library collections.
$18 per hour
New York, NY
Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest and relevant experience to [email protected] with “Assistant Librarian (part-time)” in the subject line.