The Winthrop Group’s Information & Archival Services Division is seeking an archivist for a position in New York City. This full-time Assistant Archivist position offers an opportunity to participate in the work and ongoing development of the archives and heritage-related functions of one of Winthrop’s corporate clients.
As part of the Heritage Services team, the Assistant Archivist will:
• accession and process paper records that are utilized primarily for purposes related to the company’s information, outreach, and heritage development;
• accession and process electronic records for client’s digital archives (tasks include converting files, renaming files and upkeep of digital archives workflow);
• catalog records, capture metadata for the archival records and write scope and content notes;
• add metadata for digitized material into Excel prior to ingest into client’s Content Management System;
• provide as needed archival reference service for Heritage Center clients;
• write occasional posts for client’s intranet and assist with exhibits and special projects;
• assist with supervision of fellowship students (MLIS students);
• collaborate with other members of the Archives staff to apply professional methods and practices that will ensure the goals and objectives of Winthrop’s client are accomplished in an accurate, efficient, and useful way.
• MA or MLIS with a minimum of two years experience in appraisal, processing and cataloging analog and digital records
• Knowledge of archival theory, methodology, and practice
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Strong writing and editing skills preferred
• Experience in a business or institutional setting
• Orientation toward learning and applying new technologies for storing and managing digital objects
• Familiarity with basic preservation techniques
• Proven ability to work cooperatively with team colleagues and various clients
• Effective communication and problem-solving skills
• Experience providing reference service helpful.
New York, NY
E-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and names, titles, and contact information for three references to: Sam Markham, Director, The Winthrop Group, Inc., [email protected]