The Fales Library & Special Collections, NYU’s special collections for art and humanities, is seeking an adjunct reference librarian. The adjunct reference librarian manages reference services and the functioning of the Fales Reading Room, under the supervision of the curatorial staff. The adjunct reference librarian staffs the Fales reference desk, provides basic reference services for walk-in patrons, monitors the reading room, assists onsite and remote researchers with reference requests, schedules patron appointments, and manages public services such as photocopying, scanning, and the request of offsite materials.
• Assisting researchers with the NYU Special Collections online registration and request system (Aeon), and monitoring the system to facilitate and schedule research appointments.
• Greeting researchers and orienting them to the library, explaining the library’s policies and procedures.
• Providing in-person, email, and telephone reference queries.
• Monitoring researchers to ensure proper handling of the collections and adherence to policies.
• Instructing researchers in the use of the library’s catalog, research guides, and finding aids to identify collections relevant to their research.
• Ordering collection materials from offsite storage and tracking their use.
• Receiving and tracking photocopy requests and scanning orders, and assigning them to student workers.
• Capturing and compiling reference statistics.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Previous experience working in a library or archive, preferably with a reference component. A masters degree required.
• Comfort with various online systems, including those relevant to archives and libraries.
• Accuracy and attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to multitask.
• Experience in cross-departmental collaboration.
• Commitment to public service.
• Demonstrated interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
Salary commensurate with experience and background.
New York, New York, USA
To ensure consideration, submit your CV and letter of application, including the name, address, and telephone number of three references to: http://apply.interfolio.com/48469 Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
: NYU is one of the larger members of the Association of Research Libraries, with 319 FTE staff, 63 of whom are faculty librarians. Librarians responded to 97,000 reference queries in the last year, including via 24-hour cross-globe virtual reference. Librarians reached 20,000 attendees through instructional sessions, and thousands more through orientations and similar events. The Libraries serves a large and diverse population of 40,000 students and faculty across 18 schools and colleges– including, for example, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Tisch School of the Arts, the Stern School of Business, the Meyer College of Nursing, the Wagner School of Public Administration, NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai, etc.– and from every U.S. state and more than 133 countries. NYU is one of the largest private universities in the U. S., and is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU). New York University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the HathiTrust, the Manhattan Research Libraries Initiative, the Research Libraries Group Partnership of OCLC, the Digital Preservation Network, and the Digital Library Federation, as well as regional resource sharing consortia. The Libraries also provides an integrated library management system for the Research Library Association of South Manhattan, a consortium that includes New School and Cooper Union. For the NYU Libraries Mission and Strategic Plan go to https://s3.amazonaws.com/nyulibraries-www-assets/nyu-librarires-strategic-plan.pdf NYU’s Division of Libraries embraces diversity and is committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Enrique Yanez, Assistant Dean for Human Resources, [email protected], 212-998-2450