Sarah Lawrence College Library invites applications for a newly created hybrid position of Access Services Supervisor/ Research Services Librarian. This position will oversee the Access Services Department and will report to the Library Director. The Access Services Department includes Circulation, Music Library, Interlibrary Loan, and the Visual Resources Library. Additionally, this position will work with the Research Services Department as a member of the Research Services team.
Primary duties and responsibilities for Access Services Supervisor: Supervisory responsibilities
• Oversees the Circulation Department, Music Library, Interlibrary Loan Department, and Visual Resources Library.
• Hires, trains, and supervises 3 full time staff who manage the day to day operations of Circulation, Music Library, Interlibrary Loan, and Visual Resources.
• Establishes departmental goals, objectives, and performance standards.
Access Services operations and policies
• Coordinates and manages the Library’s access services, programs, and operations.
• Identifies and recommends technology necessary for the operations of Access Services.
• Responsible for the policies and procedures of Access Services and keeping current on upgrades and improvements to circulation, ILL, and visual resources software.
• Manage technology as software changes and new policies emerge.
• Responds to patron and staff inquiries regarding library services, hours, rules and regulations, and serves as the liaison between patrons and staff regarding complaints and problems.
• Works closely with other senior staff to establish library policy that supports the College’s educational mission.
• Manages the collection and analysis of circulation, ILL, and visual resources statistics in collaboration with the Collection Development Committee.
• Participates in projects with the various library departments, as well as library committees.
Primary duties and responsibilities for Research Librarian:
• Provide scheduled and walk-in individual research consultations with students and faculty. This may include preparation of sources prior to consultations. During consultations, perform in-depth reference interviews with the patron.
• Provide research assistance to the College community and general public at the Information Desk during desk shifts each week.
• Provide research assistance to walk-in, phone, and email requests.
• In consultation with the Research Services department, assist in developing workshops relevant to the needs of the undergraduate and graduate student body.
• Discover new research tools and materials that will help support the needs of students and faculty.
Collection Development and Management
• Participate in collection development and management on an as-needed basis.
• Review and distribute incoming gifts for the book collection. Items to be considered for Special Collections are to be passed on to the Archives. Must work in coordination with other departments.
• Contribute appropriate content to Library social media outlets.
Special Projects and Other Duties
• Create and implement approved self-directed projects designed to promote Research Services at the library in collaboration with other Library departments.
• Work in collaboration with other Library departments.
• Attend meetings as assigned.
Three years of experience working in an academic library setting. Experience in developing public services policies. Management experience preferable. Enthusiasm for technological innovation. Proficiency in generating and analyzing data from multiple systems. Strong public service orientation.
1 Mead Way Bronxville, NY 10708
Sarah Lawrence College Library 1 Mead Way Bronxville, NY 10708