Website The New York Public Library
The New York Public Library (NYPL) is dedicated to serving its local and global customers with free and accessible 21st century resources, working on the principle that knowledge is the key to lifelong success. NYPL’s Development Office raises funds from a variety of sources to support the mission and vision of the Library. The Development team is made up of a dynamic group of development professionals who together represent expertise in all areas of fundraising.
The Library is currently seeking an organized and creative Assistant Manager to join the Foundations and Government Grants team and play a key role in driving progress toward NYPL’s ambitious fundraising priorities.
Reporting to the Director, Foundations & Govt Grants, the Assistant Manager will:
Support team goal of $2M Annual Fund goal through administrative and data-driven support (70%)
- Track and manage annual donor reporting and proposal submissions
- Process gifts
- Draft donor correspondence, including gift acknowledgments, cover letters, proposal and/or report mailings, condolences, stewardship mailings
- Draft and coordinate donor cultivation and stewardship correspondence, including letters, newsletters, and event invitations
- Draft Annual Fund proposals and other writing projects as required.
Manage donor database (20%)
- Serve as team’s Raiser’s Edge (RE) point-of-contact, participate on ad-hoc advisory group, and communicate best practices to rest of team
- Work with Development Service Bureau to ensure annual rollover of proposal data
- Utilize RE to pull mailing lists for Assistant Director’s review, export data for review, mail merges, etc.
- Proactively maintain and update donor and proposal information in RE
Provide administrative support to team (10%)
- Organize and file grant paperwork on a regular basis
- Process gifts and draft donor acknowledgments
- Proofread and copyedit team materials
- Handle routine telephone and written inquiries from donors and prospects. Assist at Library events as needed.
- Manage Library’s profile on grants management databases
- Prepare and coordinate agendas, and other pertinent items, for meetings and events; takes minutes at meetings and shares feedback
Required Education & Experience
- BA/BS degree, preferably in the humanities
- Strong knowledge and experience with Raiser’s Edge (report/query creation) or other donor database experience. Similar database experience will also be considered.
- One year professional experience or internship experience, preferably in administrative-related duties with some engagement in fundraising
- Project management – stays on top of multiple projects without dropping anything, anticipates obstacles, identifies and involves stakeholders appropriately
- High degree of initiative, organization, and follow-through on both short- and long-term projects.
- Pro-active approach; ability to communicate training needs and to incorporate feedback from supervisors.
- Emotional Intelligence – can communicate effectively and appropriately to all stakeholders, from senior staff to donors.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and public
- Passion for and understanding of the Library and its mission
- Familiarity with budgets and financial reporting to donors
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Office setting
- Limited physical effort is required
- May require travel within NYC
35 hours per week
To apply for this job please visit jobs-nypl.icims.com.