An opportunity currently exists in the Library for a full-time position in the non-competitive New Jersey Civil Service title of Librarian I. Applicants who meet the requirements may apply.
Teaneck Public Library is seeking an energetic team-oriented candidate with a strong public service commitment to provide leadership in the area of emerging technologies and digital librarianship. This position reports to the Head of the Reference Department. The successful applicant should have a demonstrated commitment to serving diverse communities, and a capacity to deal effectively and courteously with the public, while maintaining effective working relationships with colleagues.
The Emerging Technologies and Digital Librarian will play a leadership role in the implementation of new technologies, while providing a main support role in existing library technologies. They will work closely with other library staff members to achieve the technology goals of the library, as determined by library administration.
Several exciting grant-funded technology projects are already underway in Teaneck, including the installation of outdoor WIFI access points, and the implementation of Virtual Reality (VR) equipment to connect residents to relevant historical experiences.
A county leader in public library service, Teaneck has a reputation for providing high quality materials, programming, and information services to residents of Teaneck and surrounding communities. With the second highest total public library circulation in Bergen County for 2019, Teaneck Public Library loaned a total of more than 426,000 items.
Teaneck is an ethnically diverse community, with an estimated population of 40,619, giving it the second largest population in Bergen County.
- Provides advanced reference, readers’ advisory, and technology assistance services in the reference department.
- Plans creative, engaging, and age-appropriate programs and/or technical instruction for emerging technologies and digital librarianship.
- Trains and develops resources for both staff and public on the use of digital library resources on all platforms and emerging technologies.
- Collaborates with other organizations in the county, state, and nation to best serve the residents of Teaneck.
- Serves as main liaison between the library and BCCLS technology support.
- Provides technical support for various library technologies and equipment including creating instructional materials for staff.
- Coordinates library website development and maintenance.
- Presents programs independently or in collaboration with community organizations for a range of community interests.
- Takes the initiative to identify, evaluate, and assist in implementing emerging technologies.
Coordinates the Jean Greenfield Mobile Makerspace, and supports staff members in STEM/STEAM programming efforts.
- Integrates technological solutions for everyday challenges and streamlines procedures.
Develops relationships with schools, local businesses, and other outside agencies and community organizations in the areas of technology, STEM/STEAM, and makerspaces.
- Serves on relevant committees and working groups at the local, county, and state levels.
- Attends seminars, meetings, and conferences of professional and technical organizations for the purpose of keeping informed about current and emerging library services and technical developments.
- Works on special projects as assigned by supervisor and/or library administration.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of theories, objectives, principles, and techniques of librarianship.
- Knowledge of Library Classification Systems.
- Knowledge of form, content, and use of bibliographies and book lists.
- Ability to appropriately organize library materials, including files, books, periodicals, digital media, etc.
- Ability to keep informed of current theories, objectives, principles, and techniques of librarianship; and adapt to modern technology, library trends and innovations.
- Ability to keep informed of current events, and popular and local culture.
- Ability to think critically and creatively to solve problems and implement ideas.
- Ability to work harmoniously, creatively and collaboratively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively and share knowledge with others using oral, written and electronic communication skills.
- Ability to integrate current technology into areas of service to perform duties.
- Ability to practice effective customer service skills to best determine patrons’ needs.
- Ability to train and assist the public with communications, technology literacy and all information resources.
- Ability to analyze, comprehend and use current approved public library standards, methods and techniques.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Master’s Degree in Library Science (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program. Library experience desired but not required. Strong technology skills and interest required. Strong aptitude in technology repairs, hardware, upgrades, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills. Experience with basic to moderate HTML/CSS, and WordPress or similar Content Management Systems. Experience and/or interest in developing STEM/STEAM programming. Appointees may be required to possess a valid driver’s license. Initial appointment provisional pending Civil Service procedure. The Librarian title is a Civil Service governed job position and additional information can be found at: https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/07569.htm.
The schedule for this position is 35 hours per week, including a regular evening, regular Saturday coverage on a rotating basis, and the possibility of optional Sunday coverage.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees must comply with the “New Jersey First Act”.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and three (3) references to [email protected] Deadline to apply is Friday, August 6. Anticipated start date is October 1, 2021.
Full posting available at: https://teanecklibrary.org/2021/07/12/full-time-emerging-technologies-and-digital-librarian-librarian-i/
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org