Website Queens Public Library
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Community Library Manager (ACLM), the General Librarian works as part of a Community Library team to welcome and engage all customers in the Library’s services, collections, and programs. Supports the Library’s mission, values and overall Strategic Plan. Provides professional library service including but not limited to reference, bibliographic instruction, Readers’ Advisory, and community referrals. Develops and maintains general collections based on community needs and interests. Responsible for creating and providing programs and performing outreach. Provides assistance to customers in the use of service check in/out and multi-functional devices. Provides excellent customer and library service to the diverse communities of Queens.
● Performs excellent internal and external customer service and library service in response to the information needs of the Library’s users and the overall community.
● Provides reference, referrals and Readers’ Advisory services for all age groups. Assists customers in the use of print and electronic resources. Answers correspondence and inquiries on special reference subjects. Conducts reference interviews.
● Conducts training sessions for the public in the use of the library Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC), the internet and various databases.
● Recommends and refers customers to alternative sources of information, both internal and external to the Library.
● Processes reserves and inter loan requests.
● Assists with circulation, and fines and fees as necessary.
● Monitors the public service floor and engages customers.
● Performs collection development with an emphasis on developing quality materials, including selecting and ordering materials. Evaluates and processes book donations.
● Determines the usage patterns of collections by assessing the frequency of circulation, the physical condition of materials and other criteria. Weeds materials according to standard library de-selection criteria.
● Ensures that collections are current and meets the public’s needs.
● Ensures that specialized collections reflect the subject matter knowledge and use of specialized bibliographies.
● Ensures that discards, recommendations and orders for collection development are relevant.
● Submits clear and informative reviews on schedule.
● Ensures that collections are regularly weeded and kept in good condition.
● Ensures that collections are merchandized according to Library guidelines, as applicable.
● Collaborates with the ACLM and the Programs and Services Department to develop, deliver and evaluate a variety of innovative programs that meet the community’s evolving needs, such as book discussions, author talks, technology classes, and arts and wellness activities.
● Performs outreach to community organizations informing them of the Library’s services and to develop partnerships for collaboration.
● Promotes print and virtual library collections, programs and services to the public.
● Acts as a resource in training and knowledge development to team members.
● Creates opportunities for all customers to contribute to the Library through venues such as volunteering, social media postings, blogs, book clubs, etc.
● May contribute content for social media platforms, such as Library blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
● May perform one or more of the following duties: compile bibliographies and develop library user guides both in print and electronic formats.
● Submits incident reports as directed.
● Participates in trainings as required.
● In the absence of the Community Library Manager and Assistant Community Library Manager, may serve as the Librarian in charge, which includes serving as a primary contact for customer issues/conflict resolution and escalating issues to supervisor when necessary, and performing other supervisory duties.
● May volunteer to supervise hourly rates and volunteers.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings.
● MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
● New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate.
● Must have the ability to work with a diverse population and effectively provide customer service to a large number of customers simultaneously.
● Must be proficient with using Microsoft Office, internet searching/technology, personal computers, and other related technology skills.
● Must possess excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
● Must work successfully in a team environment.
● Demonstrated enthusiasm for customer and public service.
· Public Library experience.
· Fluency with languages other than English.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and reference “General Librarian – EXTERNAL” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org