Website Jersey City Free Public Library
Job Title: Security Guard (3 Vacancies)
Location: These three positions will be located at one of the following branch libraries: Miller, Earl Morgan, Cunningham.
Workweek: 35 hours/week. Schedule varies depending on need. May be required to work evenings and weekends as needed.
SALARY EXPECTATION: Position is subject to the NJLA 2020 minimum of $28,702.
*Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, may change at any time with or without notice.
About Jersey City and the Jersey City Free Public Library (JCFPL)
At JCFPL we are growing to serve the increased needs of our community!
Jersey City, NJ is the most diverse community in the U.S. (See: https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/02/jersey-city-ranked-the-most-diverse-us-city-in-2020.html). It is also the largest city in Hudson County, NJ and likely, with the next U.S. Census, to be the largest city in the State of New Jersey with a population nearing 300,000.
The JCFPL is the largest municipal library in the State of New Jersey with 10 locations and a bookmobile. Our staff of nearly 140 provides services in a wide range of languages including English, Spanish, Hindi, Gujarati, Arabic and Tagalog, among others.
About the Positions
Under the direction of the Branch Manager, patrols the grounds and building to provide protection to persons gathered therein from harm, and guards and protects public property against fire, theft, vandalism, and illegal or unauthorized entry; does other related duties as required.
Example of Job Duties:
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
· Inspects assigned areas for those conditions that may contribute to fire (for example, discarded burning cigarettes) and see to it that fire extinguishers are in place and undisturbed or operational.
· Sits and views a monitor screen or electronic surveillance board and remains alert to movement on screen which would indicate the presence of unauthorized persons or intruders in restricted area.
· Sits or stands at a post and maintains orderly flow of individuals on entering and leaving.
· Observes departing individuals who carry unusually large packages or bundles to prevent the theft of government property such as office equipment, nooks, films, and so forth, and determines if individual warrants searching.
· Removes unwilling person from premises after issuing verbal warning regarding a rule violation concerning disorderly conduct, loitering, unauthorized entry and so forth.
· Restrains violent or disorderly persons who are intent on disturbing government proceedings or harming themselves or others.
· Tells occupants of building to evacuate premises and warns about impending danger from explosives, fires, and so forth to ensure an orderly and safe exit.
Knowledge and Abilities:
· Knowledge of security measures in detaining persons
· Knowledge of fire prevention
· Knowledge of problems involved in safeguarding persons, buildings, grounds, and properties.
· Knowledge of techniques used in maintaining order among groups of people congregating on public property.
· Ability to understand, remember, and carry out oral and written directions.
· Ability to work harmoniously with associates, visitors, and other groups and individuals interested in security problems.
· Ability to understand the emotional, adjustment, and other problems of person who have been deprived of their liberty.
· Ability to remain cool and decisive in emergency situations.
This is a Civil Service Job and you must eventually pass and qualify for the applicable Civil Service title.
To apply for this job with the Jersey City Free Public Library, please email your resume as a PDF attachment and note the position and preferred location applying for in the subject line to HR@jclibrary.org
Please note that this role is subject to the residency requirements set forth by the NJ first Act.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com