Website Jersey City Free Public Library
JOB TITLE: Public Information Assistant (Multimedia Coordinator)
DIVISION: Communications & Outreach
LOCATION: Gardner Main Library
WORKWEEK: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (35 hours/week). May be required to work evenings and weekends as needed.
* Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, may change at any time with or without notice.
About Jersey City and the Jersey City Free Public Library (JCFPL)
At JCFPL we are growing to serve the increased needs of our community!
Jersey City, NJ is the most diverse community in the U.S. (See: https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/02/jersey-city-ranked-the-most-diverse-uscity-in-2020.html). It is also the largest city in Hudson County, NJ and likely, with the next U.S. Census, to be the largest city in the State of New Jersey with a population nearing 300,000.
The JCFPL is the largest municipal library in the State of New Jersey with 10 locations and a bookmobile. Our staff of nearly 140 provides services in a wide range of languages including English, Spanish, Hindi, Gujarati, Arabic and Tagalog, among others.
About the Position
The JCFPL is seeking a bright, dynamic, outgoing, collaborative and enthusiastic individual to coordinate and produce visual materials for publication and distribution to the Jersey City community and Library staff.
The Public Information Assistant (Multimedia Coordinator) will be responsible for drafting and editing written copy to drive and support the Library’s communications efforts. The individual in this role will work closely with other members of the Communications & Programs Team, and interface with other Library staff throughout the organization. The Public Information Assistant must have a passion for working as a member of a team to reach a shared vision.
The ideal candidate will have a facility with and enthusiasm for design; a willingness to learn and grow as a member of a team; an energetic approach to internal and external communication; courtesy, flexibility and a sense of humor.
Specific Job Duties:
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
• Coordinates, produces, and distributes visual communications to acquaint the general public and Library staff with the functions, programs, regulations, policies and procedures of the Library system, including its collections, programs, resources, and facilities.
• Works closely with other members of the Communications & Programs Team to coordinate the production of high-quality, relevant, brand-aligned informational, promotional, and directional materials.
• Drafts and edits graphics for visual materials such as flyers, social media, newsletters, webpages, signs, posters, charts, pamphlets, and other visual materials.
• Advises on, coordinates, and participates in the production and editing of still photography and video content.
• Advises on, coordinates, and participates in the creation of Library visual displays.
• Gathers information from Library staff and research sources for the development of visual materials.
• Collaborates in development of a strategy for the Library’s messaging and an overall visual standard.
• Assists with managing content for Library website and social media platforms.
• Collaborates on maintaining Communications & Programs Team press files and records, including the Team’s photo and video archives.
• May assist with training and supporting staff in the development of visual materials.
• Assists members of Communications & Programs Team with other duties as needed.
• Knowledge of modern public information, public relations, and advertising techniques and devices.
• Knowledge of the conventions and the form and style required for published visual and written materials.
• Ability to review, edit, and advise on visual materials drafted by others.
• One year of experience in work involving the collection, analysis, and dissemination of information in the field of news media and/or public relations, publicity, and/or advertising.
• Ability to communicate effectively and positively with all Library staff, the Library’s community partners, and members of the public.
• Basic experience or greater with Microsoft Office 365, mainstream social media platforms and management tools, web-based livestreaming and meeting tools, wysiwyg web editing tools, consumer-grade still photography and video hardware and software, graphic design software tools (including Adobe Creative Cloud and/or Canva); willingness and ability to improve and learn new skills in this area.
• Availability to work occasional evenings and weekend shifts as required by events schedule.
• High School Diploma or GED; College Degree is a plus.
• Knowledge of Jersey City’s population, geography, and/or local government.
• Facility in a non-English language spoken in Jersey City (such as Spanish, Hindi, Arabic, Gujarati, Tagalog).
To apply for this job with the Jersey City Free Public Library, please email the following to HR@jclibrary.org, noting the full name of the position you are applying for in the subject line (including any portion of the position name that appears in parentheses):
• your current resume;
• graphic design sample demonstrating your experience in producing visual materials for publication.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the employee for this job. Duties,
responsibilities and activities, may change at any time with or without notice.
This job description is associated with a Civil Service job title; the New Jersey Civil Service Commission requires all incumbents to eventually qualify for Civil Service job titles based on the experience and skills outlined in the relevant Civil Service job description.
This position is subject to residency requirements as set forth in the New Jersey First Act.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com