Website Jersey City Free Public Library
Job Title: Librarian I – Reference/ LGTBQ Community Services (1 Vacancy)
Location: Gardner Main Branch
Workweek: 35 hours/week. Schedule varies depending on need. May be required to work evenings and weekends as needed.
*Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, may change at any time with or without notice.
About Jersey City and the Jersey City Free Public Library (JCFPL)
At JCFPL we are growing to serve the increased needs of our community!
Jersey City, NJ is the most diverse community in the U.S. (See: https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/02/jersey-city-ranked-the-most-diverse-us-city-in-2020.html). It is also the largest city in Hudson County, NJ and likely, with the next U.S. Census, to be the largest city in the State of New Jersey with a population nearing 300,000.
The JCFPL is the largest municipal library in the State of New Jersey with 10 locations and a bookmobile. Our staff of nearly 140 provides services in a wide range of languages including English, Spanish, Hindi, Gujarati, Arabic and Tagalog, among others.
About the Position
As part of the Adults Services Division and reporting to the Division Head, the individual in this role is responsible for providing outreach, service and resources to the LBGTQ community as well as expanding and improving service to the City’s adult population through the Library’s Reference Department.
This includes but is not limited to: organizing and conducting community building programming, both presentational and interactive, for adult and LGBTQ populations; initiating outreach efforts and fostering community connections and partnerships; assisting patrons and staff in making effective use of the Library’s job seeking and small business resources; providing formal training and instruction in the effective use of both digital and physical reference resources; creating maintaining and developing relevant collections; developing strategies, best practices, standards, and technologies that support discovery, access, and management of the Library’s resources and collections; and performing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have experience in planning and conducting energetic LGBTQ programming and outreach; a facility with and enthusiasm for adult reference service, resources, and technologies; a passion for utilizing new technologies and resources for the benefit of the local community; an understanding of the role of libraries and librarians in expanding community access to resources and collections; familiarity with current library technologies; the ability to perform both independently and as a team member; experience in effectively instructing and training peers and the public in the use of resources; excellent communication skills; enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility and a sense of humor.
Specific Job Duties:
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
· OUTREACH – Develop community partnerships with institutions, community leaders, and organizations.
· EVALUATION OF NEEDS – Plan, develop, implement, and evaluate overall programs, services, and activities to ensure they meet library goals and community need.
· PROGRAMMING – Design, develop, and implement innovative programs and services to: foster a stronger and more diverse community; promote connections between populations; promote technological skills and information/media literacy; and/or broaden the impact of Library resources and services.
· ACCESS – Develop and participate in implementing strategies, best practices, standards, and technologies that support discovery, access, and management of the Library’s resources and services.
· TRAINING – Assists patrons and staff in making effective use of library technologies and provides formal training and instruction in the effective use of library resources.
· CUSTOMER SERVICE – Assist patrons in locating, evaluating and effectively using information or resources.
· SOCIAL MEDIA – Promotes library activities, facilities and services.
· OTHER – Perform all other reasonable duties as assigned by Supervisor.
· Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, identify and assess problems, and decisively implement appropriate solutions or recommendations
· Ability to work well independently and collaboratively across the Library to get things accomplished
· Experience implementing or enforcing library policies and procedures
· Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences in a library program accredited by the American Library Association or from a New Jersey College Master’s program in Library Science that has been deemed acceptable by Thomas Edison State University.
· May be required to possess a valid certification as a Professional Librarian issued by Thomas Edison State University.
· Fluency in a language other than English, especially one or more of those spoken by a substantial portion of Jersey City’s population, including Spanish, Arabic, Hindi, Gujarati, or Tagalog.
· Knowledge of Jersey City’s population, geography, and/or local government.
· Experience in LGBTQ and job seeking outreach and programming preferred.
· Successfully demonstrated commitment to providing consistent, high-quality public services
· Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including the ability to serve as an enthusiastic ambassador for the Library
· Successfully demonstrated experience supervising, training, and mentoring staff
· Creativity, flexibility, and initiative in accommodating community and staff needs
· Commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
· Strong computer and other related technology skills, including MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google applications, PCs, Macs and e-reader devices
This is a Civil Service Job and you must eventually pass and qualify for the applicable Civil Service title.
To apply for this job with the Jersey City Free Public Library, please email your resume as a PDF attachment and note the position applying for in the subject line to HR@jclibrary.org
Please note that this role is subject to the residency requirements set forth by the NJ first Act.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com