Understanding, Preserving, Sharing the Puerto Rican Experience
Primary assignment would be to process recently acquired collections, creation of detailed inventories, transfer of materials to archival boxes, and implementation of preservation protocols. Work assignments may vary depending upon library and archival project needs. Work under the supervision of Library Manager and may oversee the work of college assistants for specific projects.
The Project Archivist is responsible for the arrangement and description of personal papers and records of organizations in Centro Archives holdings.
- Implement “More Product, Less Process” collection processing
- Appraisal and description of materials.
- Weeding and inventorying of collections.
- Writing, researching and editing finding aids, reports, Encoded Archival Description (EAD) and web content.
- Supervising and training college assistant and/or work-study student for this project.
- Working collaboratively with staff in a team environment on a variety of projects.
- Master in Library and Information Science in progress or completed, with a specialization in archival management.
- Familiarity and/or training processing archival collections.
- Understanding of the principles of arrangement and description, and familiarity with archival standards, specifically DACS
- Familiarity and/or training for recognize archival preservation issues and applying basic preservation techniques
- Working knowledge of both English and Spanish languages preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Strong organization and time-management skills; attention to accuracy and detail is essential.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Access and also Encoded Archival Description (EAD) preferred.
To apply: Forward cover letter, resume and contact information for 2 professional references via email to Aníbal Arocho, Library Manager, Center for Puerto Rican Studies, Hunter College, CUNY at [email protected] . The subject line of the email should read: Project Archivist.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com