Website Burford Capital
Global finance firm focused on law
Burford Capital is the leading global finance and asset management firm focused on law. Its businesses include litigation finance and risk management, asset recovery and a wide range of legal finance and advisory activities. Burford is publicly traded on the New York and London stock exchanges. and works with law firms and clients in the US, UK and elsewhere.
This position will support a variety of company functions through custom research with a focus on the business of law. The role will report to Head of Research and be based in Burford’s New York or Chicago offices.
- Support Burford’s user groups including Business Development, Marketing, Public Policy, Strategy and Finance through custom research on a broad variety of legal, financial and news databases
- Master legal analytics sources and research the underlying legal cases as appropriate
- Identify business prospects and ways to reach them
- Track and share information on litigation finance, Burford’s competitors, and the business of law
- Scan the legal press for case opportunities and present them to Business Development team weekly
- Provide statistics from public sources for Burford’s quarterly and annual reports, thought leadership, blog posts, marketing collateral etc.
- Monitor legal databases and press sources for developments that might impact cases in the investment portfolio
- Provide statistics or background information to assist Burford’s Litigation Finance team in diligencing and assessing potential cases for investment
- Manage the Research Department’s subscriptions, including assigning licenses and execution of contract renewals, in collaboration with the Head of Research
- Research and assess new resource options, arranging demos and trials where appropriate
- Work with vendors and other researchers to train users in a variety of research tools
Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s degree in Library Science OR documented library reference experience
- Demonstrated strong database retrieval and web search skills
- 2+ years in a professional services, legal, or academic setting
- A JD or experience in the legal industry is a plus
Core Competencies & Skills / Personal Attributes & Fit
- Intellectual curiosity, a logical mind, and a good memory
- Ability to digest large amounts of data and distill it into useful, well organized summaries
- Enjoyment of learning new topics, sharing knowledge with others, and helping to solve problems
- Ability to prioritize and to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Comfort with ambiguity, proposing and testing hypotheses, and bringing order and structure to complex questions
- If you have legal experience: interest in the business of law rather than practice of law
Burford’s research function connects people across the business with information they need to know—ideally before they have to ask for it. As a professional researcher, you will not just answer the immediate question at hand, but go beyond to offer continuing insight and added value. You will also connect requestors to internal and external resources they can use to uncover information themselves.
At Burford, you will be a trusted partner to legal and finance professionals – acknowledged for your technical skills but also for a rarer willingness to challenge yourself and to critically analyze the answers you supply. Litigation finance is a new field and Burford is by far the industry leader; the work you do will be at the cutting edge of industry research, and as such, the information requests that come to you will not always be achievable, but always be interesting. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a researcher seeking an “outside the box” position to apply ingenuity and creativity to uncovering answers that matter to the business.
To apply for this job please visit www.burfordcapital.com.