myMETRO Professional Development Scholarship Program
The myMETRO Professional Development Scholarship seeks to improve the skills and abilities of local librarians, archivists, information professionals, students and retirees by supporting those who wish to attend educational programs but are unable to due to budgetary constraints.
- All current myMETRO members are eligible to apply.
- Scholarships are given to applicants with economic hardship who wish to attend an eligible educational program and are willing to submit a report about what they learned. Applications are accepted at any time.
- Scholarships will not exceed $150.
- Eligible educational programs include workshops, courses, seminars, symposia and/or conferences that will improve your leadership potential or marketability in the profession or your ability to be more effective in your present position.
- Send your completed scholarship application to:
57 East 11th Street, 4th floor
New York, NY 10003-4605
Attn: myMETRO Scholarship Program
- METRO has allocated money specifically for myMETRO scholarships and members can apply for up to $150 per year.
- All myMETRO members are eligible to apply except those serving on the myMETRO Advisory Council
- Individual applicants can receive only one scholarship during their membership year.
- Classes taken toward the MLS degree or educational programs not directly applicable toward professional or personal growth in the applicant’s field are not eligible.
- Employment status does not affect eligibility.
Application Deadlines and Announcements
- Applications are accepted all year until annual scholarship budget is exhausted
- All applicants will receive an initial acknowledgement by email. Scholarship recipients will be notified by email then sent an approval letter and a check for 100% of their scholarship request. Applicants denied scholarships will be notified by email.
- Applications will be scanned for minimum eligibility, including proof of registration for the educational event, by the METRO Member Services Manager and forwarded to Advisory Council members.
- Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant with a note indicating the error or omission requiring correction.
- The number of scholarships granted is decided by the myMETRO Advisory Council.
- The myMETRO Advisory Council reserves the right to offer no scholarships if applications do not meet the minimum eligibility requirements.
- Scholarship monies not used will go back to the myMETRO Scholarship Fund.
Expectations of Recipients
- Scholarship recipients will write a brief report about their experience, describing the value of the workshop for them and their career growth and/or in their current workplace. All or part of this report may then be used in future METRO publicity.
- Recipients may also be asked to share their experience with the local library community at a METRO event.