- What do I receive from METRO when I become a myMETRO member?
- What discounts are available to myMETRO members?
- Are METRO classes included in myMETRO benefits?
- Are there special classes for myMETRO members?
- Are other METRO events discounted for myMETRO members?
- How can myMETRO membership help me defray costs of professional development opportunities?
- How do I request a METRO referral card?
- What other benefits are available to myMETRO members?
- Who do I contact about myMETRO
All new myMETRO members automatically receive a member card by mail as well as this FAQ and a list of upcoming myMETRO events. In addition, new members will be automatically added to the members-only mymetrosig-l email discussion list, and will also receive targeted email blasts announcing workshops, meetings, events and other METRO programs. You may also want to become a member of the myMETRO LinkedIn Group if you use LinkedIn frequently. In addition, you may want to subscribe to METRO-L, a low-traffic resource for information sharing among METRO member libraries. Subscribe via the METRO website at: http://metro.org/connect/
Reed Business Information: myMETRO members receive 25% off annual subscriptions to library industry publications including Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, School Library Journal and Library Hotline. Contact Tom Nielsen for an order form.
Neal-Schuman Publishers: myMETRO members take 10% off purchases from the entire catalog of library and information science books. Be sure to indicate that you are a myMETRO member when ordering Neal-Schuman books.
Drexel University Online: You and your family members are entitled to receive a 20% tuition reduction on library science programs at Drexel Online. Drexel offers both academic excellence and online convenience. Visit http://www.drexel.com/metro to apply online at no cost.
myMETRO members also receive discounts on METRO workshops and events, see below for more information.
Yes. In fact, myMETRO membership makes taking classes at METRO easier and cheaper for myMETRO members.
- myMETRO members are automatically added to METRO’s workshop registration system and login information is sent by email to each member. So when you’re ready to register you’ll have all the tools you need to sign up for the courses you want.
- myMETRO members receive a discount of 20% or more on the already discounted member library price for workshops over $100.
- If you’re unable to sign up right away for a workshop, don’t worry, three seats in each course are set aside just for myMETRO members, but don’t wait too long because these priority seats are released to any new students one week before the class.
Yes. Throughout the year, myMETRO members may register for a number of special events and courses, many with topics related to career and personal advancement. These events, courses and networking opportunities are discounted for myMETRO members and will be listed on our online calendar.
Yes. If you attend an educational event such as a workshop or conference and would like reimbursement to help defray the cost of the event, you may be eligible for a myMETRO Professional Development Scholarship. All myMETRO members have the opportunity to apply for a scholarship of up to $150. Applications and program guidelines can be found on our website at: http://www.metro.org.
As a myMETRO member you can request five METRO library referral cards per year. Use these referral cards to gain entrance to participating METRO member libraries, but remember that referral cards are subject to the rules set forth on the “Referral Cards” page on the METRO website. It is the responsibility of the individual myMETRO member to know and abide by these rules. Be sure to indicate on the referral card that you are a myMETRO member and present both the referral card and your myMETRO member card when you use it. To request a referral card, send an email to Tom Nielsen, Member Services Manager at: email@example.com
Career Services: To help myMETRO members make the best professional impression possible, METRO offers Career Services including a Resume Makeover, Mock Interview, Head Shot session and Job Search and Career Advising. METRO's Job Bank Manager, Ellen Mehling, conducts all career services except the Head Shot. The Head Shot service is handled by METRO's photographer, Alan Barnett (see his handy work on our staff page). More information and an application are available on the myMETRO Career Services page.
Office Privileges: Members are eligible to use a special desk for members at METRO's office. Reserve a two-hour block of time in advance through METRO and have access to a phone, computer, printer and copier.
Lynda.com: Members can gain free access to online training website, Lynda.com for four weeks at a time. Contact Tom Nielsen, Member Services Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about any of these benefits.
If you have additional questions about myMETRO benefits, contact Kyle Brown, General Manager, at (212) 228-2320 or kbrown [at] metro [dot] org.