Wikimedia New York City (WM NYC) is an official chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation, the parent organization behind Wikipedia. The goal of the chapter is to support the New York tri-state area with educational initiatives, development of free culture, providing free central knowledge, and advocating for the best interests of the community.
The organization seeks a Metrics and Reporting Assistant to manage the reporting process for WMNYC events. This position reports to and works in collaboration with the Metrics & Reporting Committee, which represents key stakeholders in these initiatives. We expect the position to evolve over the first year, and thus the explicit list of responsibilities may change. However, the person in this position will:
- Collect Wikipedia account names from the attendance record on Wikipedia event pages, including those from Art + Feminism, AfroCrowd, and other edit-a-thons organized by WMNYC
- Generate reports for individual events, using Wikimetrics tool as required
- For each report from the Wikimetrics tool, process that data into a meaningful human-readable report.
- Collect articles created and edited for each event so impact can be tracked over time.
- Develop and propose a means to combine data from multiple events to develop one annual report and multiple specialized reports.
The successful candidate will possess skills and experience in the following areas:
- Experience with collecting and processing data, including both qualitative and quantitative measures
- Ability to communicate with event organizers and the WMNYC community in a clear and respectful manner
- Ability to communicate with the Wikipedia community in the Wikipedia website and beyond
- Willingness to spend time studying the existing wikimetrics processing tools
- Some prior experience with Wikipedia or attendance at editathons is a plus, but not required