Under moderate supervision with a medium degree of independent judgment, implements and maintains systems and networks in support of Libraries’ computer information systems. Individual will be responsible for the development, design, installation, maintenance and coordination of computer-based systems within the libraries and for strategic planning which anticipates the needs of the diverse community of students, faculty and library patrons of the Pratt Institute Libraries.
- Works with the Head of Technical Services to prepare libraries’ short and long range technology plans and budgets.
- Responsible for evaluation, review, and ordering of computer hardware and software purchases for the libraries.
- Supports existing library systems platforms (e.g. Millenium ILS, Libraries’ website, LibGuides, climate tracking software, etc.).
- Manages department-wide replacement and upgrade plan for hardware and software, maintaining appropriate inventories as needed.
- Responsible for the maintenance and systems upgrades on all library servers and peripherals, including the integrated Library System.
- Troubleshoots and resolves hardware, software, and network problems.
- Maintains security for networks and systems.
- Manages the Libraries’ networked resources, staff and public workstations using appropriate Windows server operating systems, as well as Windows 7 and Mac OSX for desktop computing.
- Responsible for installing, integrating and testing all new equipment and peripherals.
- Maintains logs of systems programs.
- Schedules and runs batch processes.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of systems maintenance and routines.
- Assists and instructs staff in use of desktop hardware and software, authoring and providing tutorials and training as necessary.
- Responsible for new staff orientation on desktop workstation, telecommunications and telephonic equipment.
- Communicates with the necessary vendors to identify needs and expectations for growth and expansion of services.
- Participates in the Institute-wide related projects and committees.
- Participates in libraries’ reference services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Minimum: Associate Degree in Computer Science and/or network technology or equivalent experience is required. BA preferred, ALA accredited MLS most desirable.
Experience: Extensive computer experience is required; library experience preferred; network certification is preferred. Demonstrated experience in a networked facility and ability to maintain Windows Server 2008 and 2012, networked clients running Windows 7 and 8, and Mac OSX.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Proven ability to manage a 24/7 mission-critical environment, with ability to provide on time support when needed.
- Extensive experience configuring, maintaining, supporting and troubleshooting systems and server environments.
- Flexible to changing needs and priorities and able to work accurately and productively in a busy environment with many competing priorities.
- Keeps current with developing library technology, best practices, and emerging trends.
- Ability to work well with diverse populations; and demonstrated level of inter-cultural competence.
- Enterprising, diplomatic, and proactive at problem solving.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, and interpersonal).
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux systems a plus.
SALARY: 60k + Benefits
Please submit your cover letter, and the names and contact information for three professional references here: http://tinyurl.com/z4j8ysd.
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE