Job Information Resource Librarian
Brooklyn Public Library is seeking a Job Information Resource Librarian to work as part of the New York City Connected Communities (NYC-CC) team to provide quality public service in four of the eight neighborhood libraries comprising the NYC-CC Program Locations (Brownsville, Bushwick, DeKalb, Macon, Marcy, Saratoga, Stone Avenue, Washington Irving). The successful candidate for this position will perform library work concentrating on job information / workforce development services and programs for adults and teens. He/she will collaborate with colleagues to identify community needs and develop programs and services accordingly.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide personalized one-on-one career, job, and education information sessions to library users at four different locations, including but not limited to the following services: review and edit resumes and cover letters; discuss interview preparation techniques and conduct mock interviews.
- Provide resume/job help assistance using laptops and online resources
- Develop and conduct job readiness workshops at four target branches.
- Participate in outreach and community events; hosts class and group visits.
- Identify community partners and build relationships with local businesses, workforce development agencies, and community based organizations.
- Work one on one with patrons to access e-government services and benefits.
- Plan, conduct, and evaluate a variety of job-related programs.
- Work with NYC-CC team to meet project goals; helps to provide data for reports
- Coordinate promotion of job readiness workshops with branch, NYC-CC program staff and Business & Career Library staff.
- Work reference desks and other branch assignments as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Establish programming and services calendars with branch and NYC-CC staff.
- Support BPL’s online training platform, Metrix Learning System, by hosting Information Sessions and open computer labs.
- Expand knowledge of local, print and online resources; help develop systems for disseminating information
Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school; Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate issued by the State of New York, required
- Candidates must be flexible, able to handle multiple competing priorities and tasks, adaptable to
change, and able to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Excellent communications and customer service skills
- Strong presentation and programming skills
- Knowledge of education and job information resources is highly desirable
- Knowledge of Career Cruising, and LearningExpress Library
- Basic understanding of current and emerging library technology, trends, and public library
- General experience working with the public and diverse communities
- Experience working with diverse jobseekers and students
- Strong teamwork & teambuilding skills; respectful of team members’ input
- Working knowledge of electronic resources including the Internet and Microsoft Office
- Bilingual skills in Spanish or other languages a plus
- Ability to travel regularly to BPL branches and offsite locations
- Required to work evenings and weekends
This position is in the bargaining unit. The salary for this position is $49,732.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.