Under minimal supervision, and with moderate latitude for independent judgment, the Manager works with the Head of Public Services to ensure continuity and quality of public services during afternoons, evenings, and weekends, with occasional late nights as per the academic calendar. Providing appropriate supervision and direction of library staff and student employees, the manager will be the primary representative of the Brooklyn Campus library during these shifts.
- Responsible for oversight of Brooklyn Campus Library operations during evening and weekend shifts as well as the systematic closing activities, punctuality and professionalism are required.
- Act as a primary representative to a diverse patron base; the position floats between the Reference and Circulation desks as needed.
- Provide reference service and occasional library instruction.
- Perform circulation duties and address patron inquiries.
- Assist patrons in use of microform and photocopier equipment reporting equipment service issues to the Head of Public Services.
- Responsible for regular searching of material claimed returned, missing, or lost.
- Assist with security gate incidents and procedures.
- Make rounds of the facility and report on library usage, facility conditions and use.
- Responsible for gathering and reporting statistics.
- Supervise and participate in retrieval and shelving of materials, ensuring adequate stack maintenance.
- Assist in supervision of clerical staff and student employees.
- Hire, train, schedule, supervise, delegate and direct the activities of graduate assistants, including budgeting of graduate assistant payroll.
- Participate in library teams, committees and special projects as appropriate.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned; perform other duties as required
Education: Have earned or show demonstrable progress toward an MLS or equivalent library graduate degree, as accredited by the American Library Association.
Experience: Required: minimum of 2 years of relevant library experience. Preferred: 2-3 years experience in library public services, and supervisory experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of art, design and architecture is a plus.
- High degree of computer literacy, including the use of automated library systems.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize tasks, set priorities with a diverse workload, analyze situations, solve problems, and meet established deadlines with attention to detail.
- Ability to provide effective library customer service in a higher education setting.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with a diverse population, as well as demonstrated sensitivity to cross cultural perspectives and experiences.
SALARY: Mid 50k + Benefits
Please submit your cover letter, and the names and contact information for three professional references via the online application system at https://www.pratt.edu/the-institute/administration-resources/finance-administration/human-resources/jobs-at-pratt/
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE