The New School Libraries & Archives is excited to be offering the position of Assistant Manager for Web Services within its Library Systems team. Reporting to the Library Systems Manager within the Digital Library and Technical Services Department, the primary responsibility of the web services manager is application design and interface development for the university library’s web applications and services. This position collaborates with library, IT and other staff to plan, implement and manage a smooth, streamlined user experience of web-based library services.
The following duties will be performed by this position:
- Maintain and upgrade Drupal content management system. Design, code, and implement custom solutions to extend the functionality of Drupal platform and other library applications.
- Actively develop search applications across a variety of locally-hosted and cloud-based services
- Utilize best practices in information architecture, user-centric design methodology, and usability principles to create an effective user experience.
- Participate in designing and evaluating user-testing of various library web applications across a variety of platforms and devices, including mobile and tablet platforms.
- Coordinate with the Director for Reference and Instruction to create instructional media used in subject pathfinders and remote/online bibliographic instruction
- Perform ongoing security updates/patches and maintenance of web-service software
- Other web and systems duties as needed
- In-depth knowledge of Drupal site-building, theming, and coding modules. Demonstrated ability to create and adapt custom Drupal modules.
- Experience with Apache, PHP, Solr, MySQL.
- Familiarity with integrated library systems.
- Working knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages: RUBY or PERL preferred
- Master’s degree in library or information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Knowledge or demonstrated interest in current trends and development in metadata standards. Working knowledge of metadata formats- especially MARC, EAD, Dublin Core, VRA Core as well as data transformation strategies through the use of XML/ XSLT.
- Familiarity with relational database platforms, (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server or Oracle 11g)
To apply for this position, please refer to http://careers.newschool.edu/postings/9881