Librarian - Asst/Assoc Professor (Coordinator of Manhattan Ctr Library)
Job department/School: Manhattan Library FT/PT/Temp: Full time openings: 1 Job Title: Librarian - Asst/Assoc Professor (Coordinator of Manhattan Ctr Library) Location: New York City
Description Librarian: Manhattan Center Library Assistant/Associate Professor (Coordinator of Manhattan Center Library) (full time position, starting Summer, 2017)
Reporting to the Dean of University Libraries, the Librarian at the Manhattan Center Library is responsible for working with Garden City colleagues to further the educational mission of the Adelphi University Libraries with a particular eye toward implementing new educational technologies and in moving the Libraries forward with a strong vision for in-depth coordinated services. Provides all library reference services for Manhattan Center courses and Manhattan-based blended and online courses; provides and designs information literacy instruction in support of the curricula; develops and maintains the collection.
• Provide in-depth face-to-face and virtual reference services to Manhattan Center students and faculty, as well as visiting users, employing and implementing new technologies to work with people remotely.
• Coordinate and create Libguides to support classroom research needs; partner with individual faculty members on course Moodle sites; and develop and provide Library Instruction sessions (online or in person) at the request of professors, program directors, as needed.
• Coordinate collection development and liaison responsibilities for relevant subjects (including Social Work, Business, Education, Psychology) and programs (NYC Scholars undergraduate program, and the Adelphi English Language Institute), in print, nonprint, and digital formats, working in collaboration with other selectors to build a strong, forward-thinking collection policy that will serve students at their point of need.
• Respond to space changes and needs to support collaborative and individual study spaces in the library and throughout the center.
• Coordinate with ancillary support services outside of the library to address student needs.
• Serve on and participate in Adelphi committees for faculty governance (Libraries department, Manhattan Center, university-wide)
• Serve as a liaison for ConnectNY and METRO consortia.
Supervise and schedule a small staff of adjunct faculty librarians, student and hourly workers to maintain smooth working of day-to-day operations of the library. Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends. Maintain liaison with vendors, as needed.
Pursue professional development opportunities, including workshops, seminars and conferences, to stay abreast of the latest professional trends in library services and instructional technologies.
Participate in professional associations; engage in scholarly and professional activities, including research and publishing required for reappointment, tenure and promotion.
This is a tenure-track library faculty position. Applicants must hold a master’s degree from an ALA accredited school of library/information science. A second post-baccalaureate degree is highly preferred and is required for promotion to the rank of Associate Professor and for tenure. Applicants must possess excellent supervisory, interpersonal and communications skills as well as the ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a collegial environment. Applicants must demonstrate evidence of ability to meet criteria for promotion and tenure.
Reference and information literacy instruction experience required.
New York, NY, USA