Please note that this session is part of METRO's Library Leadership Lunch Hour webinar series with instructor Pat Wagner. To register for this series*, please visit http://metro.org/events/334/.
Big idea bosses are concerned with projects, budgets, strategic plans, and politics. However, most still have employees who require oversight, coaching, and evaluation of some kind, even if they are expected to operate without direct supervision. How do the basics of supervision, including aligning activities to the strategic plan, setting priorities, and coaching, apply to middle management and the administrative office?
- Introduction: Why supervision is the key to success
- The Key Idea: Elicit the best from the people you supervise
- Clear expectations from the beginning
- Written contracts and agreements
- Positive reinforcement: Catch them, tell them, reward them
- The dangers of conflict avoidance
- The differences between micromanagement and oversight
- Improve productivity and workplace relationships
- Grow the skills and commitment of supervisors and employees
- Use positive reinforcement and workplace contracts to manage employees instead of nagging
*Other sessions in this series will include:
- Principled Leadership on Thursday, May 23rd
- Improving Information Exchange in Workplaces on Thursday, June 13th
- What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do: Conflict First Aid on Thursday, September 19th
- After the Internet and eBooks: The Future of the Information Society on Thursday, October 17th
- Virtual Customer Service Strategies: Solving Problems Via Email, Instant Messaging, and Social Media on Thursday, November 7th.
METRO is making all six of these sessions available at a discounted package rate of $30 for members and $100 for non-members. Not a METRO member? Learn more about our individual myMETRO membership options here. Access to each live program and archived recording will be made available to all registrants.
Log-in information will be distributed to all registrants via email 1-3 days prior to the webinar. All registrants will have access to the archived recording of the webinar within a week after the live session.
METRO uses Adobe Connect for all online programs. You can test your Adobe Connect connection at http://metro.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm or get a quick overview at http://www.adobe.com/go/connectpro_overview.