Please note that this session is part of METRO's Library Leadership Lunch Hour webinar series with instructor Pat Wagner. To register for this series*, please visit http://metro.org/events/334/.
Every encounter is different, but some communication strategies work most of the time with most people in most situations. Professionals who deal with conflict accumulate a bag of tricks to fall back on when there is not time to thoroughly assess a situation, or when the first five strategies don't work. The more methods you master, the more confident you will feel in otherwise difficult situations.
- Introduction: What are the basic principles of managing workplace conflict?
- The Key Idea: Sometimes all you can do is deal with symptoms
- Know you can always leave and/or call for help
- Lower the emotional temperature
- Stop trying to be right
- Provide choices for all involved
- Stay respectful regardless of the other person's behavior
- Feel more resourceful and confident in difficult workplace situations
- Research and practice new strategies to add to what you already know
- Be more effective when dealing with people who are angry or upset
*Other sessions in this series will include:
- Principled Leadership on Thursday, May 23rd
- Improving Information Exchange in Workplaces on Thursday, June 13th
- Supervisory Skills for New (and Old) Managers and Leaders on Thursday, July 18th
- After the Internet and eBooks: The Future of the Information Society on Thursday, October 17th
- Virtual Customer Service Strategies: Solving Problems Via Email, Instant Messaging, and Social Media on Thursday, November 7th.
METRO is making all six of these sessions available at a discounted package rate of $30 for members and $100 for non-members. Not a METRO member? Learn more about our individual myMETRO membership options here. Access to each live program and archived recording will be made available to all registrants.
Log-in information will be distributed to all registrants via email 1-3 days prior to the webinar. All registrants will have access to the archived recording of the webinar within a week after the live session.
METRO uses Adobe Connect for all online programs. You can test your Adobe Connect connection at http://metro.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm or get a quick overview at http://www.adobe.com/go/connectpro_overview.