If you find yourself doing PR, promotion, or marketing as part of your job, but you never formally learned how, then you are an "accidental marketer" -- and you're not alone! Hear the basic tenets you never had a chance to learn as well as advanced tactics. Get the real reasons why many patrons don't attend programs and why the media doesn't always cover your events. Learn what "true marketing" is and why it can make your hard work pay off more often.
This workshop will be led by Kathy Dempsey, author of the book "The Accidental Library Marketer." A limited number of copies of the book will be available for sale at the workshop.
Who should attend:
- All "accidental marketers" -- anyone who is doing promotion, marketing, press releases, publicity, or program planning without much formal training
- Anyone who wants to make their client communications more effective
- Anyone who wants to know about market segmentation & messaging
By the end of this program, participants will:
- Understand how "promotion" and "public relations" differ from "marketing"
- Understand the Cycle of True Marketing
- Know how and why to segment customers into target markets and create different messages and plans for each market
- Be able to communicate more clearly
- Use basic tools for effective marketing
- Understand the importance of establishing quantifiable goals and know how to set those goals and how to measure success
- Know how to prove their value and bring more business into their info careers
This is part of METRO's Business Skills for Librarians workshop series. If you're planning to attend two or more of the workshops in the series, use the discount code BIZSKILZ to receive $5.00 off each registration. Other workshops in this series include:
- Making the Most of LinkedIn, Nov 28th
- Building Brands that Engage, Jan 23rd
- Budgeting Basics, date TBD
Questions about registration or cancellation? Visit METRO’s Registration Info page for policies and procedures.