This fall, the Alliance for Response New York City will train forty volunteers to "respond to the needs of cultural institutions, artists, and other collections during emergencies and disasters." If you'd like to be a first responder for New York City's cultural heritage collections, please consider applying by Thursday, July 31, 2014.
The following message was shared with us by AFRNYC:
Alliance for Response New York City invites you to Apply for the 2014 Heritage Response Team Today!
• Be part of team that provides critical support to the cultural community when it matters most
• Learn what to do to protect your collection in the event of disaster
• Become qualified to train others at your institution in disaster response activities
• Acquire skills in triage and salvage operations, health and safety, use of the incident command system
• Become informed about how first responders and agencies such as the New York City's Office of Emergency Management function in times of crisis
With generous funding from the New York Community Trust, this fall, AFR NYC will train a team of 40 volunteers to respond to the needs of cultural institutions, artists, and other collections during emergencies and disasters through coordinated efforts with first responders, state agencies, vendors and the public.
Training is modeled on the American Institute for Conservation’s Collections Emergency Response Team (AIC-CERT), which provides those in need with remote advice and referrals, as well as onsite triage and salvage support.
Alliance for Response New York City is now accepting applications for AFR's Heritage Response Team. AFR is looking for individuals from the greater New York area with a variety of skill sets related to materials handling and collection care. Accepted applicants will participate in 6 to 8 training sessions scheduled to take place this fall starting on Saturday, September 13, 2014 at the Museum of Modern Art.
To download an application, or for more information on the Heritage Response Team or upcoming training, visit the AFR NYC website: http://afrnyc.org/upcoming-training
Please note that the application deadline has been extended to July 31, 2014.