Join Wikimedia NYC and METRO’s Wikipedian-in-Residence in a Wikipedia learning weekend on Saturday, September 7th and Sunday, September 8th at the Brooklyn Central Public Library.
The weekend will start with the launch of Wikipedia Takes Brooklyn, a scavenger hunt and photo contest aimed at completing Wikipedia articles about Brooklyn landmarks, public art, and library branches. This event includes an introduction to Wikipedia images and a short training on using Wikipedia.
Participants will then go forth to take pictures of Brooklyn for inclusion in Wikipedia. Later in the day on Saturday and Sunday, Wikipedians will demo how to upload photos and edit articles for returning photo-hunt participants. No special Wiki knowledge is required to participate, just a camera and a love of the borough.
On both September 7th and 8th, Wikipedians will be on standby at the Info Commons to provide basic training on how to edit articles, provide more advanced training for the experienced, and answer any other questions about Wikipedia.
Wikipedia Takes Brooklyn
Location: Brooklyn Public Library Info Commons
Dates: Saturday, 9/7 and Sunday, 9/8
This event is free and open to the public. Register here.
- 10am - 12pm: Photo-hunt launch, project explanation
- 12pm - 6pm: Wikipedians hold open hours for basic editing training, one-on-one tutorials, and questions
- 4pm - 5pm: Photo-hunt participants return; training on how to upload photographs and create basic articles
- 1pm - 5pm: Photo-hunt participants return from previous day to upload photographs
- 1pm - 5pm: Wikipedians hold open hours for basic editing training, one-on-one tutorials, and questions
We hope to see you there!
Correction: August 26, 2013
This article has been amended to reflect a corrected schedule of events. Please note that BPL is open on Sunday from 1pm till 5pm; Wikipedia Takes Brooklyn will take place within this time frame.