It’s finally feeling like spring. Just as we can count on the cherry blossoms blooming at the botanic gardens, so, too, can you count on METRO’s renewal letter arriving this time of year. And it’s my job to make sure you know everything we do to keep you -- our colleagues and collaborators -- satisfied and returning each year.
As regional organization, we work to serve as a hub for our members and allied professionals -- in traditional, emerging, and creative ways. To that end, I am delighted to highlight the following examples of what we’ve been doing to foster our community’s continued development:
- The Innovative Internships program funds otherwise unpaid internships, and fosters innovative work within METRO-member institutions.
- Last year METRO’s Digitization Program provided close to $100,000 in grants to member libraries to digitize collections and increase access to critical information resources. (Proposals are being accepted for 2013/14 funding.)
- We’ve launched a Community Partners program to strengthen our relationships with various regional professional organizations, and we look forward to adding more to that list in the coming year.
- METRO has expanded our online training opportunities to include asynchronous courses via Lynda.com and Library Juice Academy.
- Our myMETRO Researchers pilot successfully brought together four teams to lend library science skills and expertise to local community initiatives.
- We have made strategic hires in a new Digital Services Manager, a Strategic Initiatives Manager, and a Community Engagement Manager — all helping fill out our roster of committed professional staff members heading up important programs that serve your professional needs (meet your METRO staff here).
We’re doing all of this and more alongside the traditional services you’ve come to expect and depend on from METRO, like providing timely professional development opportunities, delivery service for resource sharing, and support for Special Interest Groups.
Anticipating and meeting the needs of an industry facing tremendous change is at the heart of METRO’s mission. We’re committed to serving our dynamic community, and we look forward to another year of your active membership.
Thank you for reading.
Executive Director, METRO