Job Opening: Professional Development Program Manager
Located in New York City, the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO), a non-profit serving 270 libraries in NYC and Westchester County, seeks a dynamic and innovative leader to manage its Professional Development Program. This position offers the opportunity to provide entrepreneurial leadership for one of the best professional development programs in the library field. The METRO Professional Development Program provides high-quality and effective educational experiences for librarians, library staff, and other information professionals working in academic, public, school, and special libraries in the METRO service area.
METRO offers on-site training in a state-of-the-art training center and on-line and web-based training. METRO coordinates professional development activities with its members, other library organizations, and graduate library and information technology schools to coordinate the professional development activities in New York City and Westchester County.
The successful candidate will work with an outstanding team comprised of colleagues on the METRO staff and among its member libraries, and with other providers of innovative learning and educational experiences. (For more information about METRO, visit www.metro.org.)
The position reports to METRO’s Executive Director.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Plans, implements, markets, and evaluates the METRO Professional Development Program to respond to the needs of member libraries
- Collaborates with members, other library organizations, and library schools
- Stimulates and supports outreach initiatives to members
- Plans and manages all on-line and web-based learning programs
- Provides general day-to-day administration of the METRO Professional Development Program including management of the METRO Training Center
- Recruits and supports a pool of high-quality instructors and speakers who will make significant contributions to the success of the program
- Conducts regular needs assessments among member libraries and of market trends and developments
- Markets and promotes the overall program and individual offerings
- Markets and communicates information about training and learning activities with METRO members and other organizations regionally, statewide and nationally
- Monitors the budget and financial matters related to the program.
- Initiates and prepares grant proposals
- Manages grant-funded projects
- Monitors and evaluates the success of individual workshops, events, and the overall program and applies results to future training activities
- Performs any other department or related duties or special projects as directed by METRO’s Executive Director
- Master’s degree in one of the following disciplines preferred: Public Administration, Library Science, Adult Education, Human Resource Management or a related field
- At least two years related experience
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and manage a comprehensive professional development/training program applying adult learning theory
- Strong customer service orientation
- An entrepreneurial outlook
- Demonstrated ability to independently organize and manage projects
- Experience in online instruction and learning technologies
- Strong technical skills including but not limited to familiarity with new and emerging technologies for delivery of online learning including webinar software and course management systems
- Outstanding presentation and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding written communication skills
- Effective time management skills
- Ability to build and nurture relationships
- Sensitivity to the needs and interests of multiple stakeholders
- Experience as a consultant and/or trainer preferred
- Experience working in a library or a non-profit organization preferred
- Experience in marketing and public relations a plus
- Experience in grant writing preferred
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience; friendly working environment; 401K with organization contribution; 20 days annual leave; sick leave; 13 + paid holidays; NYS Retirement; excellent health/dental benefits
To Apply:The position is available immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please forward resume and salary requirement with “PD Manager” in the subject line to email@example.com.