METRO members may be interested in attending this year's ACRL/NY Symposium on cultivating entrepreneurship in academic libraries on Friday, December 7 at Baruch College's Vertical Campus. A number of METRO staff members will be attending, so we'll see you there. Here are the details from a recent reminder email:
Academic librarians are under tremendous pressure to adapt to changes in technology, declining budgets, “re-skilling,” and cultural or institutional expectations. Through necessity and ingenuity, some librarians are adapting by seeking out new opportunities for collaboration, innovation and creative service offerings that meet our users’ evolving needs with limited resources. At ACRL/NY’s 31st annual symposium, we will explore how academic librarians can actively promote risk-taking and develop an entrepreneurial and intrapreneurial approach to service.
- Steven J. Bell, president of ACRL, 2012-2013, and Associate University Librarian for Research and Instructional Services at Temple University, will talk about how to create a library culture that encourages entrepreneurship;
- Naomi House, founder and publisher of the popular webzine and jobs list INALJ.com (I Need a Library Job), will talk about the importance of staying true to your own vision when creating a new service;
- Prof. Stephanie Walker, Chief Librarian & Executive Director of Academic IT for Brooklyn College, will present a case study of how and why her library embarked on a revenue-generating scheme with some eye-opening results;
- Lisa Carlucci Thomas, librarian, writer, and speaker on evolving mobile and social technologies, will talk about using experimentation, evaluation and creativity to adapt and deliver strategies that surprise, delight and inspire;
- Maureen Sullivan, current president of the American Library Association, educator and consultant will talk about creating a culture of innovation and what it takes to foster risk-taking, as well as what individuals can do to become more entrepreneurial in their practice
Space is limited so register now to ensure your place. Come join the conversation!
***Please go to the symposium website and click on the ‘Registration’ tab to access the links to online registration credit card or PayPal.***
Symposium registration fees:
- $100: ACRL/NY current member
- $110: non-member
- $50: Library school student or retiree
Requests for cancellations received in writing before November 30th, 2012 will be refunded in full. No cancellations will be accepted over the phone, and no refunds will be given for "no shows." Requests for cancellation submitted after November 30th, 2012, will not be refunded. Substitutions may be submitted in writing until Wednesday, December 5th, 2012.
- Current member of ACRL national: $25
- Non-member of ACRL national: $35
Library/information science student or Retiree: $10
The William and Anita Newman Vertical Campus Conference Center
55 Lexington Avenue (at 24th Street) Room 14-220 (14th floor)
New York, NY